The National Honor Society (NHS) is the nation’s premier organization established to recognize outstanding high school students. More than just an honor roll, NHS serves to honor those students who have demonstrated excellence in the areas of scholarship, leadership, service, and character.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.65
- Earned 2.0 credits advanced coursework by the end of the second trimester of the school year
- Never been suspended from high school
Students will then need to be nominated by at least five Mt. Pleasant High School/GI-TEC staff members to be invited to submit an information packet to be considered for membership in the Mt. Pleasant High School Chapter of the National Honor Society (NHS). A full balance of involvement, achievement, and dedication to SERVICE, LEADERSHIP, CHARACTER, and SCHOLARSHIP must be demonstrated for membership selection.
Students will need to provide the following information to the NHS Faculty Council:
- A recommendation letter from a community member who can speak to your character. (This community member should NOT be a relative or a teacher in the district. A coach who is a teacher is acceptable.)
- At least three documented service experiences during your high school years (one directly connected to MPHS).
- At least two documented leadership experiences gained during your high school years (one directly connected to MPHS).
- A proctored essay explaining why you should be chosen as an NHS member.
Service may include work for community groups, 4-H, scouting groups, church work, or volunteerism with a hospital, clinic, or neighborhood development or civic projects. Do not include such things as your own lawn care service, babysitting, or anything for which you were paid, or services that you were required to do (selling booster cards for athletics).
Leadership may include only those officially named positions in which you were directly responsible for directing and motivating others. For example: student senator, class or club officer, committee chairperson, team captain, newspaper or yearbook editor, work area manager, position in a community organization, etc. A leadership position involving employment for which you were compensated is acceptable. Specific criteria are clarified in the information packet. Please ensure that you will be able to document any necessary information (such as name of contact person, phone numbers, and specific dates) included in your packet.
Advisor: Kay McArthur