Under the new federal education law No Child Left Behind Act of 2001, parents have the right to know the professional qualifications of the classroom teachers who instruct their children. The federal law allows them to ask for specific information about their child’s classroom teacher(s).
The law also requires Mt. Pleasant Public Schools to give the information to them in a timely manner if information is requested. Specifically, parents have the right to ask for the following information about each of their child’s classroom teachers:
- Whether the Michigan Department of Education has licensed the teacher for the grades and subjects he/she teaches.
- Whether the Michigan Department of Education has decided that the teacher can teach in a classroom without being licensed under state regulations because of special circumstances.
- The teacher’s college major; whether the teacher has any advanced degrees, and, if so, the subject of the degrees.
- Whether any teacher’s para professionals provide services to your child and, if they do, their qualifications.
- If any parent would like to receive any of this information, please send a request to the Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources, 720 N. Kinney Ave. Mt. Pleasant, MI 48858 or call (989) 775-2303.