Mt. Pleasant Public Schools Bond Proposal
Remember to Vote, Nov. 2, 2021
The health and safety of our students, staff and community is our number one priority. The Mt. Pleasant Public Schools Bond Proposal will allow MPPS to invest in much-needed improvements, including security and safety enhancements, so our kids can learn in a safe and healthy environment.
What you need to know about the school bond proposal:
- The Mt. Pleasant Public Schools Bond Proposal is a fiscally responsible proposal that will allow us to invest in our schools and facilities without increasing existing property taxes.
- The Mt. Pleasant Public Schools Bond Proposal is a 15-year bond estimated to generate $45.9 million for necessary upgrades and updates to aging equipment, buildings and facilities.
- All funds from the Mt. Pleasant Public Schools Bond Proposal will be tracked and available on a public website to ensure taxpayer dollars are spent wisely.
The school bond proposal will allow us to:
- Keep pace with needed upgrades and improvements to school safety and make all of our buildings as safe and healthy as possible.
- Provide Mt. Pleasant students with the latest technology to complement our strong career technology and Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) instruction to prepare students for the competitive modern workforce.
- Upgrade all of our school buildings to support classroom learning and the extra-curricular programs and athletics that contribute to more well-rounded students.
The Mt. Pleasant Public Schools Bond Proposal is a 15-year bond estimated to generate $45.9 million to:
Make Necessary Upgrades
✓ Replace roofs and aging infrastructure.
✓ New facility upgrades to support athletics and extra-curricular programs.
✓ Classroom upgrades to improve the learning environment for students.
Invest in Health and Safety
✓ Make security and safety enhancements.
✓ Create a healthy learning environment with new HVAC, electrical and plumbing updates.
✓ Improve parking lots and traffic flow to improve pedestrian safety
✓ Remodel cafeterias and update food service equipment.
✓ Make technology upgrades so students can compete for jobs in skilled trades, high-tech computer science careers and other fields.
✓ New electronic message signage at buildings.
For the official Mt. Pleasant Public School Bond Proposal ballot language, polling locations and additional Nov. 2, 2021, election information, visit:
MT. PLEASANT PUBLIC SCHOOLS PROPOSITION LANGUAGE:
MT. PLEASANT PUBLIC SCHOOLS BONDING PROPOSAL
Shall Mt. Pleasant Public Schools, Isabella County, Michigan, borrow the sum of not to exceed Forty-Five Million Nine Hundred Thousand Dollars ($45,900,000) and issue its general obligation unlimited tax bonds therefor, in one or more series, for the purpose of:
erecting additions to, and remodeling, furnishing and refurnishing, and equipping and re-equipping school facilities; acquiring and installing instructional technology and instructional technology equipment for school facilities; erecting storage facilities; purchasing school buses; and preparing, developing, improving, and equipping athletic fields, athletic facilities, and sites?
The following is for informational purposes only:
The estimated millage that will be levied for the proposed bonds in 2022 is 1.4 mills ($1.40 on each $1,000 of taxable valuation), for a 0 mill net increase over the prior year’s levy. The maximum number of years the bonds of any series may be outstanding, exclusive of any refunding, is fifteen (15) years. The estimated simple average annual millage anticipated to be required to retire this bond debt is 2.83 mills ($2.83 on each $1,000 of taxable valuation).
(Pursuant to State law, expenditure of bond proceeds must be audited and the proceeds cannot be used for repair or maintenance costs, teacher, administrator or employee salaries, or other operating expenses.)